Individuals who have migrated to Australia will have the option to become citizens if they meet the permanent residency requirement. At Aura Migration Services in Sydney, we help you find the right visa and apply for Australian PR. With the help of the right visa, you will be able to apply for PR in Australia. We have curated a guide on how to get PR in Australia to help migrants who want to work and settle here.
What is a Permanent Resident (PR)?
A permanent resident of a country is a person who owns a permanent visa that allows them to reside in that country. Once a person becomes a permanent resident of a country/ territory, then they are entitled to certain rights and privileges similar to the citizen of that country.
Citizenship in Australia is awarded to a person who is a permanent resident, meets the residential requirements, and is of good character. Person is considered as a permanent resident if they have a visa that allows them to stay in Australia indefinitely. A permanent resident is entitled to certain benefits like access to subsidised legal and health services, however, unlike the citizens; they are not entitled to vote and will need a valid travel authority to enter Australia.
Skill Select Migration Program
Skill Select Migration Program is designed for international students who want to apply for PR in Australia after completing their studies. The Skill Select program improves employment opportunities for skilled migrants and simplifies the visa process. Aspiring individuals can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) which is proof that you want to be considered for Skilled Visas and wish to migrate to Australia. You will either be invited to submit a visa application or be nominated by employers or state government for a skilled visa.
What Are the Most Popular Australian PR Visa Options for Students?
There are many options available for non-residents to live, study, and work in Australia. For international students, permanent residence visas through the work stream are the most popular options. Individuals who have the skills that Australia needs or have employer sponsorship to work in Australia can apply for a permanent visa suitable for their work stream.
Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189): You will not need a nomination from the state or territory government for this visa. You can apply for this visa if:
- You are an International student who has completed a course in Australia.
- An employer or a relative is not sponsoring you.
Skilled Nomination Visa (Subclass 190): Skilful people who have the required skills and qualifications for Australia’s high demand occupations can be benefited from this visa. For this visa, you will need a state or territory nomination. You can apply for this visa if:
- You are a skilled worker with appropriate skill assessment.
- You have an occupation that has a mention in the Skilled Occupation List.
Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 491): You will need a state or territory nomination for this visa. You can apply for this visa if:
- You receive sponsorship
- You fulfil the skill requirement.
Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485): You can consider this visa if you do not meet the requirements for Skilled Independent Visa. You can gain the necessary skilled work experience and improve your English proficiency with this visa. You can apply for this visa if you have completed a course in Australia with a minimum duration of two years. A Temporary graduate visa has two subclasses namely Graduate work stream and Post-study work stream and you will have to choose the one suitable for you.
Business / Investment Stream Permanent Residence Visa: This visa is designed for individuals who are ready to invest in Australia for commercial or business purposes. You can apply for this visa if
- You have a Subclass 188 provisional visa for more than one year.
- You have all the funds and meet the necessary financial requirements specified by the authority.
Family Stream Permanent Residence Visa: This visa is designed for Parents / Partners / Children / Dependents of Permanent residents or citizens of Australia.
The Skilled Independent Visa Points Test
A skilled independent visa is for those who invite foreign workers that possess the qualifications and skills required by the Australian government. If a person has a skilled independent visa, he/she can live and work independently anywhere in Australia.
- You do not need any nominator or sponsor to get a skilled independent visa.
- This can be applied by you after being formally invited.
- You need to be below 45 years to apply for this.
To be eligible for a skilled independent visa, a person needs to score a minimum of 65 points on the point calculator. They will also need to have a relevant occupation in the skilled occupation list, qualify in suitable skills and provide evidence of being at least competent in English through acceptable English assessments.
The points to be attained are calculated based on the following criteria:
- Age: Between 18 years and 45 years
- English Language Proficiency: At least competent English in any of the accredited English Skills Assessments like TOEFL, PTE, IELTS, OET, and Cambridge C1 Advanced test.
- Educational Qualification Level: Based on diploma, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or doctorate.
- Skilled employment experience: Overseas or Australian work experience in a nominated skilled occupation or closely associated field.
- Australian course: Completing at least two years’ course in Australia (mandatory).
- Regional Australia: Living and studying in regional Australia.
- Community Languages: Certification of completion in one of the community languages in Australia.
- Professional Year Program (PYP): Completing a government-authorized Professional Year Program (PYP) in Australia.
Benefits of Australian Permanent Residency
- You can live and work in the country indefinitely.
- You will be allowed to bring your family members to Australia.
- Health and work benefits will be granted to you and your family.
- Your children can receive free education up to a certain age.
- You can help your relatives get the PR status by sponsoring them.
Eligibility for PR in Australia
- You should not exceed 45 years of age.
- In the point’s grid, you will have to score at least 65 points.
- English language requirements should be met by you.
- You should meet the character and health requirements specified by the authority.
- Your skills and qualifications should be assessed by a relevant assessing body.
- Your occupation must be on the MLTSSL list and it should be relevant to your skills and qualifications.
How to Apply for Australian PR?
Steps on How to get Australian PR.
Step 1: Before you apply for Australian PR, make sure that you meet all the required eligibility criteria. You will have to submit necessary documents which will be verified to prove your eligibility.
Step 2: You should get your skill assessed by a relevant assessing body. This process will thoroughly assess your education and work experience. After the assessment, you can apply for a pool system. Based on your score in the assessment, you will receive an ITA for the next stage.
Step 3: Submit the Expression of Interest (EOI) and consult with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) after receiving the Invitation to Apply (ITA).
Step 4: With attested documents of police certificates, educational qualification evidence, skill assessment, and other documents, apply for the visa within two months of receiving the ITA. You need to meet the character requirement and prove your eligibility by signing a document of the Australian values statement.
How Much Does It Cost to Get PR in Australia?
The cost of getting permanent residency in Australia starts with skills assessment where a person’s skills and qualifications are tested by an authorisation affiliated with the Australian Government. This assessment is payable, and you have to pay a certain amount for this, which may vary depending on your profession.
Your scores from English proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc are approved by the Australian government to check your command over English. You will need to take any one of the accredited English language exams to prove your English skills by achieving the necessary scores. The costs of these exams are not same and may vary depending on the exam you will opt for.
The cost of applying for a PR in Australia changes every year depending on the tests and qualifications you might need to take as well as the date you are applying for PR. You will have to pay for the PR application process according to the new charges in case the application cost increases between the date of filing and the time the immigration department receives it.
How Long Does Australian PR Process Take?
The process of getting PR in Australia has different steps and each step will have different processing time. Results can be quick if you provide all the necessary details and documents to the authority.
Skill Assessment: With the help of a designated body, you should get your work experience and educational background assessed. The processing time of skill assessment ranges from 45-60 days. The results will be quick if you provide the authority with all the necessary documents.
EOI: Your eligibility score will be decided in the EOI stage. You will have better chances to receive the Invitation to Apply (ITA) if you have a higher score. Processing time will depend on individual scores.
Visa Application: You will have to submit a duly filled application to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) within two months of receiving the ITA.
Verification and Medicals: You should apply for verification and medicals after you receive ITA. This will help you submit your Permanent Residence visa documents faster.
Visa Approval: The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) will follow up with the research and background checks after you submit all the required documents. If all the documents you’ve provided are satisfactory, you will be granted a visa within 3 to 5 months.
Departure: After you receive visa confirmation, you will have 6 months to migrate to Australia.
Choosing the right service provider is important to ensure that you have a smooth and hassle-free PR experience. At Aura Migration Services in Sydney, we provide detailed information on how to get PR in Australia and help you apply for the Australian PR. Our team of experts will thoroughly check your eligibility and assist you with the entire application and documentation process to get PR in Australia. Contact us today on +61 490 173 525 or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get detailed information on how to get Australian PR.